In addition to offering individual and family health insurance plans, Health Insurance carriers also sell private health insurance plans to seniors and those eligible for Medicare. These products are called Medicare Advantage, Medigap or Medicare Supplemental Insurance, and Medicare Part D prescription drug cards.
If you are looking at a company that is offering one of these products, keep in mind they are contracted with Medicare to offer this kind of insurance policy to you.
In the case of Medicare Advantage or Part C of Medicare and Part D drug plans, the insurance provider receives a subsidy for Medicare for these kinds of plans in exchange for providing services to their insured members.
As a Medicare beneficiary if you would like to lower your out-of-pocket costs for medical and prescription drug related expenses, you should consider supplementing original Medicare with a supplement and a drug plan.
Since these kinds of Medicare supplemental insurance plans are sold to private for-profit insurance carriers, you will want to compare Medigap plans being offered to you side-by-side so that you can make an educated decision about which plan is best for you.
Below we have listed some top rated Medicare health insurance plans. The NCQA (National Committee for Quality Assurance) along with US News created a ranking of the top Medicare supplement health plans available in the US. The plans are ranked according to best customer satisfaction, claims handling, medical treatment, communication, disease prevention, and quality of specialists.
Top 10 Medicare Health Plans for Seniors
- Kaiser Foundation Health Plan of Colorado (Rank 89.0)
- Fallon Community Health Plan (Rank 88.8)
- Geisinger Health Plan (Rank 88.1)
- Tufts Associated (Rank 88.0)
- Capital Health Plan (Rank 87.6)
- MVP Health Care (Rank 87.3)
- Kaiser Foundation Health Plan of the NorthW (Rank 87.2)
- Kaiser Foundation Health Plan of Southern California. (Rank 87.2)
- Kaiser Foundation Health Plan of the NorthWest (Rank 87.1)
- Capital District Physician’s Health (Rank 87.0)
For a complete guide of seniors health insurance plans available in your state you can find the National Committee for Quality Assurance rankings at http://reportcard.ncqa.org.